Cryptocurrency price check:
• ‘Taproot’ is open for trading on Canada’s biggest exchange, Chutney, the company said in a statement, allowing Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and other cryptocurrency assets to be traded in the country for the first time.
• Cinemark has opened its first AMC-branded movie theater with a big Bitcoin screen. The two companies, along with AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc’s sister chain, Cineplex, unveiled the US$33m theater in Jacksonville, Florida on Tuesday.
• Bitcoin investors have started investigating if their digital dollars can be used as collateral in credit card transactions.
• Eleni Karabiotis, a 23-year-old account manager who has been investing in cryptocurrency for the past year, said her account has been hacked 11 times and she believes digital tokens are more prone to theft than physical currency.
• “Should the New Yorker write a three-page story about me? I am currently crunching all the numbers to make sure I could afford that.” That’s what Albert Tamas wrote in Time to illustrate the changes he has seen in Bitcoin use since he handed it over to his 26-year-old son, Sam Tamas, who now holds the majority stake in a growing blockchain firm called Coinology.
• Mike McConnell, the chief operating officer of encrypted storage provider Filecoin, wrote on Twitter that Bitcoin was back to being a “generic” cryptocurrency after a market slump.
Other prominent investors are more upbeat. “Cryptocurrencies are making their way back from the abyss,” Mike Novogratz, the founder of Galaxy Investment Partners, wrote on Twitter in response to a question about Bitcoin’s short-term outlook.